A 120 Day Volunteer Makeover Helping 2 Former Foster Girls
A GIRLY GIRLS BEDROOM
Here’s a shot of Christina and me just before the makeover began for her bedroom. She had “stuff” everywhere so first things first! Clear out the drawers and closets. This room desperately needed some color and boy what a difference some pretty pink and green fabrics and paint made! Oh and those dingy blue rugs had to go!
Wow, bodda bing, bang! Christina was so delighted with the results as was I! We moved the bed to the side wall (the one you saw when you first walked through the door) to make the room more inviting.
Together we made all the curtains,bed -cover, pillow covers and upholstered a hand-me-down headboard that she desperately needed to replace. (FYI: Her original furniture was fake green marble laminate! )
While teaching Christina how to sew, I noticed that she had a hard time sewing a straight line (I did not know that she had Attention Deficit) so to remedy this small set-back, I used blue painters tape next to the presser foot of the the machine so she could focus on the direction of the needle and thread and follow the line of tape for straight seams. Success!
The other challenge I faced was designing the bedcover using the limited amount of fabric that had been donated–we barely had enough to cover her queen size bed–but you know what–I think every challenge makes for a more original design! I hope you like it as much as we did!